First Pond Swim of the Season

129twigandvine—photography by Sue Schlabach

Saturday, June 1. Nearly 90 degrees. Humidity off the charts.

Off to Julie’s pond with a group of friends, a feast, a gaggle of kids.

Go through the gate, be sure to latch it. There are cows in this field that takes you to the pond. There is a bull.

Walk the tow path down the hill, passing the first small pond. Break a sweat.

The big pond comes into view. The kids are already in there splashing and doing what kids do.

First swim of the year, and June has only just begun.

1. Red leather booth
    Jun 05, 2013 @ 19:22:20

Lovely.

2. ianbcross
    Jun 05, 2013 @ 20:01:01

I love the heightening tension, the anticipation of relief when you can get into the cool waters of the pond. Nice writing. Simple and effective.

3. birdcagedesign
    Jun 05, 2013 @ 20:47:59

Oh My… I am so jealous….. it is a little chilly here in Sydney as winter has begun!

4. daddyshomedavidpetrie
    Jun 05, 2013 @ 21:22:03

Sue — I love your photos and writing. Saturday brought my son’s bar mitzvah. The morning service was under a breezy tent with a hazy view of the West Brattleboro hills, but lunch was steamy and dinner was almost unbearable. I dunked in the cold water of the tub I just e-mailed you a photo of, but I needed your neighbor’s pond.

5. crannaford
    Jun 05, 2013 @ 21:33:54

I’ve only recently discovered your blog and I’m loving your photography. It’s a little bit chilly down here in Adelaide, South Australia (so no pond swimming:), although I don’t think we really know what cold is. It’s a beautiful winter’s day here 18°C with wild Pacific Black Ducks swimming happily in our pool🙂 Cheers from Australia David

6. Midwestern Plant Girl
    Jun 06, 2013 @ 06:45:39

A dream of mine would be to have a spring-fed pond on a few acres of hobby farm…. Ah.🙂
    Thanks for dangling the carrot! It motivates me!

7. Rebekah
    Jun 12, 2013 @ 12:27:09

The photo of the girl jumping is just perfect. You really captured it well!

8. modflowers
    Jun 13, 2013 @ 11:31:56

So jealous! The spring here in the UK has been wet and cold and we have not had any really hot summer days yet!

• Sue Schlabach 129twigandvine
      Jun 15, 2013 @ 10:02:22

After this post the weather turned to pouring rain and 55 degrees for over a week. That day seems like a dim memory! Luckily today the sun is out, but it’s still a little chilly. No pond swimming in the too near future.

9. moderndaycamper