Three Times Good, Ireland Remembered

129twigandvine—co. cork ireland

We were sitting in the Lemon Leaf Cafe in Kinsale, Ireland when my husband told my daughter this little bit of wisdom.

{paraphrasing…}

“They say you get enjoyment from a trip three times. First the anticipation of the journey while you plan. Then the enjoyment of the trip while you are traveling. And last, when you are home and remember it.”

And so, we are home from Ireland and are inhabiting phase three: remembering.

The sun shone on us, despite forecasts that daily suggested otherwise.

The ocean sparkled. The hills spread out in folds of velvety green.

129twigandvine—co. cork irelandThe tea was plentiful. The seafood straight off the boat. The pint glasses frothed with Guinness, Smithwicks or Murphy’s.

We took to the narrow paths and roads to walk beaches with hurley players and horse riders. Or all to ourselves.

We picked up seaglass among round ocean-washed pebbles and chatted with women walking their dogs on a headland overlooking Kinsale Harbor. We petted cats on steps in Cobh and wandered the graves and high crosses in Timoleague. At Mallow we watched steeplechase horse races to our daughter’s delight. (And ours.)

County Cork was our home and major exploring ground this time, and we rented a cozy apartment on a hillside outside of town.

I hope to find myself in Cork again.

129twigandvine—co. cork ireland

1. spree
    May 17, 2013 @ 08:50:07

Oh how lovely! (times 3!)

2. lyonsroarforgod
    May 17, 2013 @ 09:03:18

What a wonderfully-written piece…I was transported back to Ireland in a moment by reading your words. And now I’m remembering. 🙂 Thank you! Lisa

3. Nika
    May 17, 2013 @ 09:28:01

I have always wanted to visit Ireland!

4. Kate George
    May 17, 2013 @ 10:23:23

Lovely, lovely pictures. I love Ireland. It’s wonderful to wander and talk with people in such a beautiful place. I felt so welcome in the country there.

5. Ducky's Adventures
    May 17, 2013 @ 15:36:17

Great quote… I always say you have to visit at least twice, but now I’m thinking 3 times is the best!🙂

6. Midwestern Plant Girl
    May 18, 2013 @ 06:47:03

I’m in anticipation mode. .. it’s on my bucket list to go to Ireland. Thanks for the thrill !

7. Lori O.
    May 18, 2013 @ 10:24:18

Off the beaten path is always where you find the heart of a community. I hope one day to take my daughter, Erin O’Nan, to see her name sake!

8. niamhington
    May 19, 2013 @ 17:18:39

As I love your blog, I have nominated you for sunshine award! You can find details here http://talesfromateapot.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/sunshine-award/.

• Sue Schlabach 129twigandvine
      May 20, 2013 @ 21:48:51

Hi Niamh, Thank you so much! That is really kind, and I love reading your blog too. I am traveling for work (in NYC), so I can’t take in all the details of this until I get home, but I will then. Warm wishes to you in Ireland, Sue

9. chef mimi
    May 20, 2013 @ 12:48:17

I just got back from Ireland on Saturday ! I loved Kinsale. Great photos!

10. Stephen Hughes
    May 21, 2013 @ 07:30:58

What an absolutely gorgeous place!

11. lovehomebria
    May 24, 2013 @ 13:10:18

I am so jealous! I have been wanting to go to Ireland for so long! Your trip sounds fantastic! If you have anymore amazing pics I’m sure we all would love to see them, I know I would! =)

12. Lakshmi Loves To Shop
    May 28, 2013 @ 00:37:54

What a delightful blog you have🙂 I visited Kinsale years ago after a friend’s wedding…it was very pretty…

Comments: