Heartbreak on the Hill

129twigandvine—lamb, Ivan

I’ve been traveling for work over the last two weeks, and am reeling from the sad news in Boston. Boston is a three hour drive from here and I’ve been there twice in the last two weeks to fly out of Logan airport. Boston is in our New England neighborhood. We return there tomorrow to fly to Ireland.

Then we woke this morning to find our beloved lamb, Ivan, was attacked and killed in the night. We called Ivan our sheep dog. He was so dog-like in his friendliness and devotion to us. I still have that ache in the pit of my stomach from the sight of him, and it builds on the ache I feel since the attacks in Boston.

And so, I say farewell for the next ten days as we prepare for this long anticipated trip. I leave our hill with a heavy heart and the hope to return uplifted after days of walking the windy hills along the sea in County Cork. Strong tea, thick brown bread and pints of stout usually give me comfort.

I wish you all some comfort in these days when we realize the fragility of our world, but recognize the great amount of kindness and goodwill that live within it too.

1. thecumulusfactory
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 08:56:23

What a horrid combination of events. I hope the break helps…

2. Rick Scully
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 09:03:00

Rest in peace, sweet Ivan. So sorry about this news. I hope L is okay. I will be over in a few minutes to pick up Azalea.

3. Sue Adam
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 09:09:43

I hope the trip is restorative, Sue – safe travels. I hope you find comfort in that green land….

4. Erin
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 09:13:47

Sue-
    So sorry about Ivan. We think of spring as the time of growth and renewal. It’s especially shocking to confront death now that we’ve “made it through” the bleakness of winter. Especially shocking when it is violent and sudden. My heart goes out to you.

Take time to heal in Ireland. Squeeze those two you love tight. Drink a pint for me. Seaweed can do wonders for a body.

5. Kate George
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 16:12:22

Ivan’s lovely face uplifted my spirits. I’m sorry to hear he is gone. I hope Ireland brings you peace and joy. Safe travels, my friend.

6. birdcagedesign
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 19:21:46

so sorry for your loss of Ivan. It has been a horrible week of events all round. I hope you have a nice trip to Ireland🙂

7. Carys
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 23:25:07

Oh I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I hope your trip brings you some happiness and escape. Safe travels.

8. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:30:43

What double grief you’ve experienced.. poor Ivan. What sad and shocking news this morning. I do think a restorative trip to Ireland will help you reset. I’ll be thinking of you with your strong tea and thick slices of bread.. and a few pints. Take care, Sue..xx

9. Millie
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:10:49

God bless you Sue – safe travels.

10. Danice
    Apr 21, 2013 @ 03:14:33

Yes, many prayers for the people of Boston. So sorry to hear about Ivan also. Have safe travelling Sue🙂

11. chef mimi
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 15:56:51

Ivan was beautiful. So so sorry.

12. themknits
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 16:46:02

So sorry for your loss. Have a safe trip and return refreshed!

13. Olga
    Jun 10, 2013 @ 08:13:19

Uhm it’s so sad. Just keep looking forward not backwards, tomorrow will be a better day!

Comments: