Thinking of India During a Snowstorm

129twigandvine_theweavers2

The snow is piling up, just as they said. For once the hype seems true. My main happiness is watching it obscure all the broken branches under the trees, and the last piles of garden debris I raked up but never hauled to the compost pile. And then there is the copious amount of horse manure down in the field. I’m pretty happy to see it fully erased from the kitchen table view.

All these things were bared after our first snows melted in rain two weeks ago. Winter’s game of peekaboo continues.

Hidden. Revealed. Hidden. Revealed.

(This storm could keep it all hidden until April, for all we know.)129twigandvine_theweavers1

Here is some eye candy I’ve been taking in this morning—visions of handmade textiles in India. Somehow I stumbled on the above image of sewing hands and traced it to The Weavers, in New Delhi, India.

At this writing their website is under construction, but here is a link to show you more of their lovely wares.

Vivid color, tactile beauty and handmade design befitting a snowy day.

129twigandvine_theweavers

1. katemgeorge
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 12:08:12

Gorgeous textiles. Wouldn’t it be lovely if we could tell the owner of the hands how much we appreciate their work? I love the colors. On another theme, the snow does a great job of hiding the mess that is my view out the window, but I’m afraid Pip will never be house trained. The snow is up to her belly!

2. Sue Schlabach 129twigandvine
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 12:11:20

Ruh roh! I didn’t think about that. Poor Pip. Poor YOU! Yes, I wish I could find this sewing person to share how moved I was by the photo. I can see a faint watermark of the photographer on the image, but it isn’t clear. Ilya Snow maybe. But a Google search came up with nada. Oh well. Enjoy the snow day! Can’t wait for Tuesday.

3. anj
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 12:16:59

Beautiful fabric! And what a contrast with the blanket of white I am imagining outside your window… We have a little snow forecast for Sunday but I imagine it will be the ‘wet’ sort and be gone by Monday leaving mud in its wake… Keep safe!

4. Carole Manley
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 15:27:29

Inspired to get my embroidery silks out and something to adorn. Thank you

5. PippinRunWild
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 16:55:06

The colours and patterns are beautiful! Indian textiles are so amazing – I would love to go there fabric shopping one day.

6. petasvintageblog
    Feb 09, 2013 @ 08:49:56

The colours are just wonderful x

7. Brit
    Feb 09, 2013 @ 09:27:44

They talked about the snow storm in our news and I thought of you. I think you are pretty snowed in, aren’t you ? Will respond to your email very soon… Happy snowy weekend !

8. Twila
    Feb 09, 2013 @ 12:32:29

I envy you for all the snow…enjoy! And hopefully you have enough books as well, so your abibliophobia is kept at bay!

Feb 10, 2013 @ 05:38:56

Ooh, gorgeous, vibrant and tactile. Love it.

Comments: