The Eve of the Eve

129twigandvine_snowfall4

Winter kept us waiting. But yesterday seemed to seal our chances for a white Christmas. Curtains of snow fell, finally blanketing the last of the kale in the garden, and coating each branch with nature’s best holiday tinsel. Even the animals seemed to enjoy the snow.

129twigandvine_snowfall

129twigandvine_winterberry2The last of the bold red winterberry—uneaten by the birds—shone out against the monochrome sky.129twigandvine_felt_garland

I strung a collection of felt beads into a garland and hung it from the cupboard above the teapots and bowls. 129twigandvine_snowfall3

The world is still after a windy night. I filled containers to make ice lanterns (how to make them here). The mercury will dip well below freezing tonight.

129twigandvine_snowy_pine

A friend sent me a lemon curd recipe and the house filled with the sharp crisp scent of citrus as I zested three lemons this afternoon. Sun streamed into the kitchen—a welcome sight after a gray week—and the curls of zest cast their own inner glow. 129twigandvine_lemon_zest

From the eve before Christmas Eve I wish you and yours a festive holiday time of togetherness, warmth and gratitude. May the peace of the season be with you all.

1. Sue Adam
    Dec 23, 2012 @ 18:16:16

All the beautiful blessings of the season on you and your family in picture-perfect Vermont! With love from snowy British Columbia….Sue

2. Kate George
    Dec 23, 2012 @ 22:21:53

Such lovely images! But what is an ice lantern? I’m curious!

3. Lori O
    Dec 24, 2012 @ 09:58:54

Beautiful! Wishing for a white Christmas, too, but unlikely. Merry Christmas, Sue!

4. Deborah
    Dec 25, 2012 @ 21:52:55

Merry, merry Christmas, Vermont family!! D & I just returned from visits in PA, happily cooking lentils and collards and settling in for a few days of quiet in Brooklyn. Miss you all (including the animals!!) xoxo

5. thediamondpeacock
    Dec 30, 2012 @ 17:58:39

One of my favourite blogs to read for pics. Gorgeous….wish I was in the northern hemisphere for Christmas!

6. Carys
    Dec 31, 2012 @ 20:34:08

What a beautiful blog! I`m so glad I came across it and can`t wait to spend some time loking through it.

Comments: