Lundagård

I wish Lundagård‘s shop was in my town. Their blog features their Finnish home and things they find—old and new—for their shop.

These lampshades are so unusual. And with my recent lampshade obsession I am wondering how they are made. The fabric looks sheer on the gray one—and you can see its reverse through the hole in the top, so it is only one layer of fabric, unlined. Hmmm. I vow to experiment more with lampshades.

I like the attitude and life approach of the couple who are behind Lundagård. This is excerpted from their website, (ending with the James Michener quote):

We are a family with four children living in the country in Ostrobothnia, Finland, in an old log house from the 1800s that we have moved and rebuilt.

Creative processes and creative solutions are part of our everyday lives. We are working enthusiastically with handicraft, colors, shapes, frames and decor both in our home and in our company Lundagård.

We are fascinated by old buildings and working with natural materials, and any form of recycling!

“The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He Hardly knows Which is Which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to Decides whether he is working or playing. To him, he’s always doing both. “

– James Michener –

The Michener quote is the clincher, no?

Lundagård recently had a stall in the Old Square of Pietarsaari, Finland. I wish I could’ve strolled by and handled the wares.

1. birdcagedesign
    Aug 06, 2012 @ 05:03:00

Hi I love this I wish it was in my town too.. will definitely check out their website!🙂 Thank you for sharing

2. kerilady
    Aug 06, 2012 @ 05:14:37

I’m probably gonna make you extremely jealous when I tell you that I live in Finland and thanks to this post I will visit this shop as soon as possible. Even though I live in Finland, I had never even heard of this design-shop before now. I’m glad you wrote this post about it.🙂

3. katemgeorge
    Aug 06, 2012 @ 08:14:53

Wow. I love the quote. I strive for that level of engagement in my own life. Of course I fail miserably, but that’s to be expected. Our society isn’t really invested in that kind of authenticity.

Lampshades. I’ve been thinking about them too. There are some very interesting things going on in the world of lampshades. This is what I need a workshop for. A place to leave the materials out to work on stuff like this!

And lastly, why not open a shop like that in our town??? Hmmmm?

4. sannekurz
    Aug 06, 2012 @ 09:03:00

What a great page an idea…almost like time traveling…

Aug 06, 2012 @ 15:28:30

Love that top picture. As I typed that sentence, IPad’s predictive text turned “top picture” into “topic tree”. Seems strangely fitting.😉

6. vtbee
    Aug 06, 2012 @ 21:43:54

It would be fun to meet them!

Comments: