Laboring on the Fourth

You’d think it was Labor Day and not the Fourth of July for all the work we did today. I suppose a sunny day off makes us put on our small farm hats and deal with the tasks at hand. Today that meant working on the electric fence to keep one lamb—who is intent on jail break—in the proper place. And there were peas to pick and shell, chard to blanch and freeze, beets to harvest, lettuce to wash and eat before the heat turns it bitter.

This is what we wait for all year. Yet a snooze in the hammock sounded pretty appealing while I chopped rainbow chard.

Since I was in the laboring frame of mind I finally planted a Blue Moon Wisteria that I scored at a library plant sale back in late May. And since I was already into de-sodding and manure-scooping, I planted a peony and some spearmint too.

The mint is descended from Bunker Hill, my father’s childhood home. My patch was getting overrun with grass so I got new plants from my parents this week. Some people think of mint as invasive, but I hold it in the same esteem as wisteria and peonies. Especially Bunker Hill mint. The taste of childhood is priceless.

So now I am showered and feeling satisfied with the day’s efforts. My nod to the Fourth is the only red and blue combo I could scrape up in my wardrobe, but I’m quite satisfied with it. Maybe I’ll even take a snooze in the hammock before we head to Woodstock for a barbecue before the fireworks.

1. Sue Adam
    Jul 04, 2012 @ 16:40:16

Ah! wish I could have joined you for the work (nothing like eating peas right out of the garden – ample reward for the bending, gathering, chopping, etc.) as well as the small town barbecue. For our own national celebration, we had downpours that capped a month with double the usual annual precipitation. Today starts (finally!) a high pressure area with sun and temps over 70. Happy 4th to you all!

Jul 04, 2012 @ 16:56:57

So glad you have some sunshine, Sue. Hopefully you can get away from your work to bask in it a little. Wish you were here to share peas and holiday-making too! xox

2. joslittlepictures
    Jul 04, 2012 @ 17:26:48

OOO sunshine! It’s cold, wet and grey here and has been for days and days. I have been in the garden and planted garlic and shallots so all is not lost. Love the imges and words.

3. Brit
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 10:27:44

Sounds like a wonderful summer day outside at your beautiful place, Sue. Have a great weekend ! Hugs

4. Erin
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 23:01:43

Glad you had some time to get caught up! I hope you put that hammock to good use before the weekend is over.

5. Clouds of Colour