Summer Colo{u}rs

It is Summer Colour Week at Poppytalk (our Canadian friends spell color the British way) and I’ve been browsing my collection and shooting some images with color in mind. Today this favorite from last summer’s weekend in the Adirondacks made the cut for Red Day and was shown here. Get out your magnifying glass and look for it.

A cabin cup. Red. This photo always reminds me of the smell of the coffee percolating in the mornings while we hung out with Alicia, Dennis and Lucas near Saranac Lake. One night the kids lit jumbo sparklers by the dock and swirled them for me in the twilight. Yellow.

Peaks Island, Maine. Just across the bay from Portland, we rented a tandem bike and cycled the entire island. The summer cottages of Peaks Island look like overgrown doll’s houses and this is one of many that I snapped that day. Yellow.

My friend Brenda sewed this pillow last summer. It has such a gypsy vibe I couldn’t wait to take its photo. {As if it were someone asking for a portrait.} My battered red chair seemed a good stage to complete the Romany picture. Pink.

Today is Blue day and here are two that I submitted. The studio cupboard is brimming with blue fabric, and this stack includes a few favorites: the top one is from IKEA, the indigo and white pattern toward the bottom is yards of vintage cotton I scored at my local thrift store. Blue.

An Anna Folkard geranium snipped this morning and tucked in glass. Blue.

Color, no matter how you spell it, kindles up stories. Reminds us of certain people. Soothes. Shocks. Comforts.

We’re off to float the river. Happy weekend one and all.

1. modflowers
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 13:59:13

Beautiful photos! Particularly love the stack of blue fabrics and the red chair with cushion – the combinations of colours are just wonderful.

Jul 01, 2012 @ 15:39:56

Love the blue fabric shot especially. Lovely, vibrant post.

3. Just A Smidgen
    Jul 02, 2012 @ 12:25:15

Ahhh… my favorite color is blue.. so I’m partial to your yards of fabric.. sooo pretty!! I need to sew my little dog a coat, so I’ve got ideas in my head now! Thank you!!

4. sonofwalt
    Jul 02, 2012 @ 22:32:41

Lovely. I had to mention that my mother used to have those coffee cups. Ah, nostalgic moment for me.🙂

Jul 03, 2012 @ 07:31:10

Hmmmm, maybe this cup actually was from your mom’s set? Who’s to say. That was the single cup of that design in the cabin we rented with three friends last summer. All the adults vied for it in the morning. It really did make the coffee taste better.

5. interiorstockholm