The Reveal

I spent the winter and spring on a labor of love which came into bloom a few weeks ago at the wedding of my brother-in-law Daryl, to the marvelous Deborah.

Remember all those ruffles I was making in April? They turned into flowers. Dozens of raw silk flowers, that I overlaid on garlands of lace leaves cut from Deborah’s mother’s veil, worn exactly 50 years ago. My parent’s celebrated their 50th anniversary on June 16, so it’s a special year for new promises and renewed ones.

Cutting the vintage lace made my heart fibrillate, but the near-heart attack subsided after the first few cuts. Each flower took on its own personality, and I came up with new techniques and ideas as I went.

Here is the dress.

Tomorrow I’ll show you the wedding.

1. Beibei Wu
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 19:05:04

Absolutely adore the collage of photos you’ve made! The lace paired with the roses are perfect! Such a great sense of textures🙂

2. Cassandra
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 19:54:15

Oh wow, that looks stunning. But I have no idea how you managed to keep the courage to cut into her Mum’s veil. The end result looks worth it, can’t wait to see more photos🙂

3. daddyshomedavidpetrie
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 20:07:35

I can’t see the dress… broken link?

Jun 28, 2012 @ 07:05:23

Oh my, this is gorgeous.

5. Just A Smidgen
    Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:17:20

I am reading your posts backwards.. I loved that dress and had no idea you’d made it.. it’s gorgeous, lovely on your bride!!

Jul 03, 2012 @ 07:34:55

I didn’t make the dress itself (I’m probably capable, but since the bride is in Brooklyn and I’m in Vermont we decided to forgo that since we couldn’t do fittings easily). She got the simple silk dress made in Brooklyn and sent it to me to decorate. So much fun!!!!

Comments: