Welcome Summer

In six months the sun will be setting at 4 pm and I’ll be longing for this day.

The first day of summer dawned with the promise of intense heat. There was barely dew on the grass when we went out to eat breakfast in the garden. The lambs got busy grazing, sensing that later they’ll be chewing cud in the shade.

How will you spend the first day of summer?

I will wander down the hill and over the river to drop two girls off at a farm to ride horses and play fiddles all day (a whole week of horse and fiddle camp!!! only in Vermont…). Then over the big hill to the next valley to work and meet an English artist who is bringing her portfolio.

Back over the hill to collect hot dusty girls who may need to dunk in the river. Heck I may need to take a dip. Note to self: pack bathing suit and towel in with the laptop, camera and work bag.

Perhaps there will even be ice cream as the hot hours drift slowly, soooo slowly, toward that late sunset we dream of in the dark of December.

1. daddyshomedavidpetrie
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 09:03:04

You’re making us think of the shortest day already? I woke at 4:52 AM to find my yard lit and ready for me, but I decided to return to bed, and am now glad for that. I did not pack a bathing suit with my laptop, and now I regret it. Thanks for sharing this.

2. An Everyday Story
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 09:42:51

We are well into winter here. Your summer day sounds simply divine.

3. Just A Smidgen
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 09:52:19

I loved reading about your day.. just the sort I’d love! xo Smidge

4. LoveRichCashPoor
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 10:28:38

Gorgeous – wish I had a river to leap into… Enjoy.

Jun 20, 2012 @ 14:12:49

Lovely. We actually had sun on our first day of summer here! Back to winter tomorrow.

6. Cassandra
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 21:44:52

That sounds like a wonderful plan for the day. Shortest day of the year here in Australia, but sunset is still after 5pm, so it’s not a disaster. I’m longing for the longer days already!

7. vtbee
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 07:06:49

Deliciously hot and sticky, it was! Reminded me of childhood summer days. I ran through the sprinkler.

8. pearlyqueennotebook
    Jun 26, 2012 @ 11:19:09

Hello! I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. Have a look here: http://pearlyqueennotebook.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/one-lovely-blog-award/
    for all the details🙂

9. shazzarob
    Jul 24, 2012 @ 18:35:50

I think we are only just welcoming summer here in england.Even more rain than usual! Loving the foxgloves.Plenty where i live too.:)

Jul 24, 2012 @ 19:07:53

So happy you are getting sunshine! I have friends in Oxford and Devon who have told me how cold and rainy it’s been. Happy Summer! We all take it when we can get it.

Comments: