A Tale of Two Lampshades

Last fall I began making a fabric shade for a wire frame I came across (where? can’t remember…). It wasn’t easy. But I like this kind of challenge.

As usual, I got the bulk of the work finished in a frenzy and then got hung up on the finishing details.

My friend Sara found the perfect quirky yellow lamp base to go with it at a thrift store (she found a pair and was willing to part with one). So the unfinished shade perched jauntily on the yellow lamp for a few more months on the windowsill in my studio, taunting me to find solutions to the various problems.

In January I had an ‘aha!’ moment and finished it up. It ended up a bit of a wonky crazy-aunt-cat-lady looking shade. But I love it nonetheless.

If you wish to make yourself crazy try your hand at this style of lampshade, here are the full instructions! Download 800 kb PDF: 129twigandvine_lampshade_DIY

Photo by Roland Persson for IKEA.

Then today. A second lampshade came into view.

This new collection of IKEA shades (called LYRIK), designed by Sissa Sundling are so simple, I have to ask myself, why do I choose to make things so hard?

Yet my final lampshade is about as one-of-a-kind as you can get. Believe me, I doubt I’ll be making another one like it. But I do love it!

For the next one I’ll take some tips from Sissa and try just one kind of fabric.

Discovery of the LYRIK shade came via Poppytalk.

1. richardmcgowan
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 07:39:21

I admire your tenacity.🙂 I think I might have given up(!)

2. squatorclamor
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 08:09:45

Once again you have inspired me! I have a lampshade wire form waiting to be dressed up…Yours is so beautiful, I love it!

3. Just A Smidgen
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 10:03:57

I love both! But yours is definitely pretty and I love it because I have a little “hippy” in my soul!

4. nicethingsinmylife
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 15:43:47

I love them, especially the first one. I’m so annoyed with myself I had two wire frames that I’d been keeping for ages, I couldn’t figure out what to do with them and so I got rid of them – I could kick myself now.

Apr 06, 2012 @ 07:06:08

Thanks! I seem to have quite a collection of wire frames all of the sudden. They are a little hard to store, so I can see why you got rid of them. No doubt you’ll come across another soon enough! Take care.

5. Amy Braun
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 21:49:40

Love the colors.

6. Karen
    Apr 09, 2012 @ 19:57:57

You may call it wonky but I call it great!…I love your shade. It is also nice to meet another blogger from New England.

7. LolaLovesCraft
    Apr 12, 2012 @ 06:34:40

Thanks for the tutorial. Great way to use up all those scrap fabrics1

8. Broken Anonymous
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 15:13:36

I absolutely adore both! The first would be perfect for a little cozy crafting nook and the other, perfect for a soft, romantic bedroom. Now when I go to thrift stores I’ll think twice about passing up old dingy shades with great bones!

9. Trackback: LundagĂĄrd «