What I used to make my new clock:
- Pages from an old ledger (when ripped in half they were legal sized and fit in my printer tray)
- Vintage botanical butterflies (I scanned and did some color work on these, then printed them on the ledger paper. You could use clip art from Dover or rubber stamps…so many options!)
- Mod Podge or Matte Medium
- Sponge brush
- Old book you are willing to rip up
I dismantled the clock and used the existing face as a template for the new face.
I printed the butterfly and moth design onto the ledger, and held it up to a window with the old clock face behind it so I could trace over the numbers and circles. I used a fine tipped pen and was illustrative in my penwork, making outlines of the numbers that appeared in the gaps between the butterflies and using cross hatch marks in the outlines.
On the reverse side I traced the circle of the old clock face (being sure it was lined up so the 12 was at the top) and then cut out my new face and cut a hole in the center for the clock hands.
For the rim of the clock, I used old book pages from a French play I bought for a dollar at a thrift store. I dampened the paper slightly with water on a sponge brush and applied Mod Podge to both sides of the paper laying it onto the rim of the clock and gently ripping away the excess of the paper after it was placed where I liked it. Using some of the parts I’d ripped away, I added more Mod Podge and continued around the clock face until it was covered. This part is a little messy…. Mod Podge and Matte Medium dry fairly quickly. Within 3o minutes I could put the new clock face in place, add the clock hands, set the time and pop in the cover.Ta da! New clock.