Lightness, Whiteness

Jane Cumberbatch Home, Pure Style, photos ©Sue Schlabach www.129twigandvine.com

I feel well familiar with whiteness right now. Our landscape remains monochrome, blanketed with snow.

But I leave for London tomorrow where the grass is green and the air is mild.

Mild never sounded so good.

Jane Cumberbatch photo ©Sue Schlabach, www.129twigandvine.com

I’ve been remiss in writing about an afternoon I spent with Jane Cumberbatch in London last fall, and since whiteness and brightness reigns in her home, it seems only fitting to finally share it.

Jane’s books about her Pure Style approach to life are the cat’s meow, and she showed me her latest bit of color accent: hand-painted striped borders. In all the whiteness and brightness, a stripe of color would do anyone good. I came home with quince (a cheery acid yellow) and cake tin (a green-tinged robin’s egg blue). Both sit on my studio shelf saying, “stop being afraid and do something with us!” Maybe when I get back…. I do have ideas for where stripes would be just the ticket around here.

Jane Cumberbatch home photo ©Sue Schlabach, www.129twigandvine.comJane Cumberbatch home photo ©Sue Schlabach, www.129twigandvine.comJane Cumberbatch home photo ©Sue Schlabach, www.129twigandvine.com

And so, we ate apple cake and drank delicious strong coffee. I wandered the sunny rooms of Jane’s south facing house and found recognition around each corner, since her home is used as a styling location for magazine shoots and throughout her books. And plenty of surprises too, of course.

See the two at the bottom center? Quince and cake tin. Ready to bring some color back into my world.

Soon. Soon.

Jane Cumberbatch home photo ©Sue Schlabach, www.129twigandvine.com

About these ads

1. Sue Adam
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 12:11:05

Beautiful shots, Sue – have a great trip! Thank you for the wonderful bag you sent me….more soon. xoxoxo Sue

2. fionadoubleday18
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 12:15:18

Just lovely, thanks for sharing. X

3. squatorclamor
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 12:57:08

Beautiful and so inspiring! Thank you!

4. Cheryl @ Artzzle
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 13:43:01

Likewise . . . winter still wild over here. It just can’t seem to decide to leave . . . and not come back! Such a great post here. Gives us hope for Spring.

5. Caitlin | The Siren's Tale
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 15:48:33

Beautiful photography :) Indoors whites are always so preferred to outdoor whites, so thank you for sharing the good kind of lightness and brightness!

6. andrewreedlarimer
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 17:05:00

These rooms wrapped in a veil of white is breathtaking. To me, white is such a calming color. So airy and open, and I love that. Beautiful Photographs mixed with such elegant prose. Can’t wait for what is next! Have a great rest of the day, Sue!

-Reed from the newly made reedbyme.com

7. Zurainny Ismail
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 19:54:20

The whites are so grand – they enhance all the tiny colours and brighten the whole room! Really lovely shots. :D

8. brookemiller615
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 12:56:14

What great pictures, I have been experimenting with whites and well…With a few gold accents!

Comments:

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,765 other followers