Heather Chontos—Milk Farm Road

by Heather Chontos, Milk Farm Road blog

photo by Heather Chontos, Milk Farm Road blog

In the continued quest to think about how to creatively cover my thrashed, but cozy, feather-filled couch, I came across the artist Heather Chontos‘ canvas painted throw.

That’s inspired.

Heather Chontos, photograph by Robyn Lea for EST magazine

Heather writes and occupies a sublime spot in Portland, Maine. I like her carefree approach to getting paint on a surface—whether it’s the table she’ll serve an artisanal meal from or a 6-foot canvas on her studio wall.

I also love her studio name Milk Farm Road. It conjures all sorts of visual sparks for me— a summer path edged with Queen Anne’s Lace and hawkweed, the warmth and scent of a milking parlor in a barn. I see white pines nearby and hear the call of phoebes. Why phoebes? No idea. I think hot cookies are in the picture since milk usually makes me think of hot cookies.

Heather and her studio are featured in the latest issue of EST—a great online magazine from Australia. She is in issue #12, and you’ll need to subscribe to see it. But it’s free! So do it.

She has a fascinating story that I hope you enjoy while imagining cookies, paths and milk houses.

All photos after the first are photographed by Robyn Lea for EST magazine.

Heather Chontos, photograph by Robyn Lea for EST magazineHeather Chontos, photograph by Robyn Lea for EST magazineHeather Chontos, photograph by Robyn Lea for EST magazineHeather Chontos, photograph by Robyn Lea for EST magazine

About these ads

1. cindyricksgers
    Feb 14, 2014 @ 04:35:39

Wonderful! I’ll check out the link…thank you!

2. Brenda
    Feb 14, 2014 @ 04:53:06

Love the freedom to explore with paint! Inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

3. lovesdogs1
    Feb 14, 2014 @ 09:27:37

I like it! I loooove art! If u wanna check out my blog, go to, mustlovedogs.com

4. David J. Bauman
    Feb 27, 2014 @ 23:46:29

Some really gorgeous and colorful inspiration there, and it’s given me an idea about some unfinished window dressing too! Thanks.

5. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    Mar 04, 2014 @ 22:44:09

There’s something just so exciting about artist’s studios, isn’t there? It makes me want to move to a home with a big attic room with tilted ceilings, big windows, painted wood flooring.. just so I can paint and do everything up there! I love that artist’s work.. are you getting some or going to do it yourself?

6. Teri at Queen B Vintage
    Apr 09, 2014 @ 19:06:50

Very inspirational! Love what she does with the color. It’s very soothing but stimulating at the same time.

Comments:

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,989 other followers