Wings

© Lauren Geremia, shown on www.129twigandvine.com

bird ceiling by Lauren Geremia

2014 is marching onward. Here I am in February watching the light change and finding myself cleaning the house with spring on my mind and snow whirling outside the windows. My daughter turned 12. We are on the verge or acquiring a horse that needs a home. Life is changing and I’m barely catching up.

The sky cracked and sparkled this morning. The thermometer said zero (fahrenheit). The sky was the color of raw silk. A fresh foot of snow capped the barn, the chicken house, and the cars.

Stepping outside I braced for the chill, and instead felt a balm I didn’t expect. Not a trace of wind. Only a soothing touch in the air that promised that spring is coming—even though it’s still a long way off at the 35th latitude (8 weeks, I’d wager).

And so.

Birds—wings frantically beating—caught my fancy this morning, thanks to Desire to Inspire. This design is the work of Bay area designer, Lauren Geremia. Thanks Lauren for capturing my mood on this bitter cold morning.

Reminder to self. Look up.

About these ads

1. Kate George
    Feb 06, 2014 @ 12:25:41

We aren’t that many miles apart and your balmy was my frigid negative five! Last night I was out in the snow. It caught the light from the windows as it fell in the night, making the air sparkle. I feel so sorry sometimes. There are so many people in the world that never get to see what I see.

2. dc4evr
    Feb 06, 2014 @ 12:50:51

Here it is -16 and it really doesn’t master over the urgency I feel toward the newness of green over which the drifts of white seem to bare false witness. Bread is baked the house is toasty and my man is coming up from the watering of the cows. Life is only frozen if our hearts can’t join in with the Juncos and hop around merrily while enjoying the comradeship of each other.

Blessings, Christie

3. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    Feb 06, 2014 @ 21:07:26

We’ve had a prolonged cold snap, it makes me want to just hibernate! I love that spring is around the corner there.. lucky you!!xx

Feb 07, 2014 @ 03:24:53

That is beautiful!
    Yet again I am reminded that I like the way you write! Here, the weather is being utterly horrid, as I expect you have heard.

5. Midwestern Plant Girl
    Feb 07, 2014 @ 07:11:27

Indeed look up! But keep your mouth closed. ?. 😃

6. Caitlin | The Siren's Tale
    Feb 07, 2014 @ 16:15:47

Some of the best things in life are either right in front of us, or right above us. Thank you for the beautiful reminder to look up :)

7. David J. Bauman
    Feb 11, 2014 @ 14:26:33

I have been watching the birds–from my car! Haven’t had the courage to actually trudge out anywhere this year. Next year, new boots! Anyway, I’ve been seeing more and more birds that aren’t known for wintering here, so there is definitely some northward movement going on. Even saw two Bald Eagles building a nest in the tree tops on the ridge along the north branch of the river. I hope they continued through this latest cold snap to further their work. It was minus two this morning out there. I didn’t have to work today, so I stayed inside all morning in my blue fleece jammies.

8. Sue Schlabach 129twigandvine
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 17:42:25

And a new blizzard on the way here tomorrow. Brandy and cookie prescription for sure! Not to mention fleece jammies. Stay warm. Look for birds!

9. stephrader
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 22:07:49

I have been reminding myself of this lately too. This seems like the longest winter ever! My daughter just turned one and I can’t wait to get out outside to play instead of being cooped up!

• Sue Schlabach 129twigandvine
      Feb 13, 2014 @ 08:30:02

So true! My daughter was born in January and I remember feeling very cooped up that winter with a little one to keep warm. Even on the coldest days this winter I’m making myself get outside and take it in. But today I’m sick and think I’ll be mostly hanging out with the shades drawn and the pillow for companionship. Maybe I’ll dream of birds. Be well!

10. diybrideblogger
    Feb 22, 2014 @ 04:07:43

A timely reminder…thanks!

DIY Bride x

Comments:

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 8,009 other followers